Friday, May 25, 2012

Cherry Blossom Growth Chart

Let me first say that I could only wish that I could have thought of this on my own. I have been seeing this all over pinterest.com lately and it sparked an idea. This is the one I re-pinned. Since it is in a language that I cannot read, I figured that trial and error were going to be the best way for me to figure it out.

I started with a scrap piece of plywood that has been laying around my garage (Thank you hubby for NOT cleaning it out, despite my near-constant nagging).















Then I painted it white, using the left over ceiling paint from my unborn daughter's room (which was left over from another project from-I don't know when).







I drew out the words "Watch Us Grow" on the top. I was going to make one for each kiddo, but then thought that it would go great somewhere everyone who comes over could see.  I, then, painted over the words with the left over Scotland Isle Green sample.













Then I used leftover Black Suede paint sample and painted the branches of the tree. (I used a paintbrush from the dollar store. If you have anything better, I recommend using that.)

Then I measured and marked one inch increments and painted them green. Then I marked out half inch marks and painted them black. I also took the lines over the sides of the board.
















I used a blue permanent marker to write on the numbers. I wanted a color that was nowhere else on the board so it would be seen.

Now for the tricky part. I dipped a 2-liter soda bottle in the left over wall color from both girls' rooms. After letting the excess drip off, I put them on the board and let the impression from the bottom of the bottle get onto the board. (My bottle still had soda in it, I think an empty one would have worked better.)
I thought the impression was to "bottom of the bottle" looking and smudged them up with the paintbrush a little. I liked this look a lot better. It fits my imperfect lifestyle. =)

Then I added eyehooks to the top so it can hang with a wire or ribbon. =)

This was the final look.
I am quite happy with the results of this and soon after the paint dried, discovered that it would not fit into the space I wanted it in. Now I need to find somewhere else to hang it. 
Happy spring to everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment